Meet Jeanne of KitKatCabaret


This is the 2nd interview, with one of our store owners, that I've had the pleasure to do.   I hope you all enjoy reading it!  

Let's get the ball rolling… name, rank and serial number, please..
Name is Jeanne, (my parents named me after the movie star Jean Harlow) Oh well, age is, well, something I would prefer to keep secret.  Of course.  It's always a woman's prerogative.

I was wondering where you started out your life?
(My) Starting life was in Houston texas. My humble abode is actually 60 miles from my origin.  The college of my choice is the reason for my present location.

Your shop specializes in vintage costumes, and they are wonderful, and you sell your own original artwork and vintage lingerie in among all of that.  Did you have a chance to work on any costuming project while you were at college?
 I did work in the theater at college and was privileged to see the actors rehearse and compose the sets and costumes for many a play, including a Frank Sinatra revue.

That must have been fun.  Do you like to sing yourself?
I am avid book reader,(and) enthusiastic art student. Although (I was) very shy about singing when young, now my heart yearns to sing.  It helps with stress.

I know what you mean.  Singing does help with stress.  I was wondering what type of literature you read?
My first love is science fiction. Those space cadet ladies have to travel space in style.
(Yes, they do!) My love for comic books kept me happy, also I fell in love with Kitric the cat woman, movies and film. My mom and aunts and some teachers inspired me to sketch and read.

I used to LOVE reading comic books as a teenager.  My brother was and is an avid collector.  I liked the scary ones and the romance ones.  I took a stack of them to bed with me every night. 
I also loved both Mae West and adored The James Bond movies and mavens.
Lingerie was the foundation for so many groovy dolls.

This is so true!  Fem-bots! 
 Many movie star divas starred wearing gorgeous lingerie including Rita Hayworth, my moms fav actress.

Did anyone in particular inspire your love of vintage clothing and/or lingerie?
I would say one of my sisters (who) had a beautiful old car and she would always dress up in a drop dead gorgeous outfit. She has a shop here on Etsy called "anything70s". She has over three hundred sales.  

That's great!  I've heard of it…great shop and name.  Do you have a brick and mortar ?
My sisters had a brick and mortar shop in late 1998.  My mom referred to us as the three sisters.

That's cute...she was referring to the Anton Chekhov play by the same title, of course….Did you help out there?
Yes.  I watched over the shop and did the check out.  (I) also did a lot of purchasing for the shop, orchestrated window designs…complete with fully dressed mannequins…(I) got lots of compliments.

I'm sure you did.  Was working there fun?
If there was an event in the city, many patrons would rush out to prepare to purchase costumes for plays, often times begging for info on the theme or education for the era correct clothing. Plus of the brick and mortar; more space to store items.  
Minus for shop; tax forms, theft and vandalism, storms, ugly customers  (I assume you mean "ugly" in spirit! L0L) , travel expenses to attend estate sales…

I was wondering if you have any favorite lingerie and/or clothing brand names?
My fav maker: Shadowline gowns,  Malco Modes crinolines (Aaaahh, yes crinolines.  Nothing like a crinoline to sass up a dress!), A Du Barry (Modes) Reg. Trademark ~ New York Fashion, Mme. Berthe 

Of course you had to have a vintage Broadway costume designer in the list, too! Any favorite eras and/or fabrics? 
40's. Materials; rayon (and) silk.  I have a bias cut nightgown and I have to get a magnifying glass to read the label.


You and I have corresponded many times.  One question I have always wanted to ask you, specifically because of the unusual way you use syntax when you write, is whether or not you speak another language? And if so, is it your first one? Or have you or someone else in your family  recently immigrated to the US? I'm always interested in this because I am a 3rd generation immigrant, myself. 
My grandfather was originally from Kiruna Sweden, although I never learned his native language. He was able to converse in other languages due to his notorious travels as an able bodied sailor.  He joined the sailing services when (he was) very young.  I have verbal accounts that my father recited to me.  Kiruna is the northernmost city in Sweden, situated in the province of Lapland.  He still has relatives in this Scandinavian land. My family still has his original passport.  

So interesting! I love these kinds of personal details. I think children of recent immigrants have a special love of intimate history…helping us know who we are and where we came from. I think that is probably why we love vintage lingerie so much, too. We get a strong intimate, sense of the time and person who might have worn it. Just like we do from a family memento. It's these kinds of things that really make me feel connected and history real.
Yesterday's lingerie has all history bundled up in one scrumptious package…just the labels themselves…if they could only speak!

You like to use vintage lingerie mixed in with your costume pieces.  Can you give us an example?
Look at the pirate woman… her bodice is beautiful!  Oh, the bustiers and petticoats are super for pirate reenactments.

Okay… I'm getting it now… your love of Pirates and your able bodied sailor grandfather with his notorious travels…
Vintage lingerie is a woman's treasure trove.  These garments remain teachers to us all about the past...

You wear, as well as, sell vintage lingerie.  How does it make you feel wearing a piece of history?
Wearing a designer undergarment or girdle, or simply a nice warm petticoat to accompany a gorgeous vintage dress, makes me feel like I am indeed, very special.   (I) feel privileged to both own and wear them.

We all sell vintage clothing and we can't keep it all, as much as we might like to, because it is how we make our living.  Are there any pieces that you just can't sell?
I keep nightgowns for myself, my mannequins and dress forms, It is very helpful to be able to sketch an actual garment rather than just photos, the human form is a challenge to represent on paper.  

Last but not least…What do you love best about vintage lingerie?
Vintage lingerie is softest, silkiest museum that you can sleep on.  Labels left intact can educate the wearer, collector or enthusiast.   Labels represent the evolution of clothing industries, garment workers unions, availability of textiles through war times, (and in) peace times.  Ain't that the truth. Thanks, Jeanne.  This has been really fun.


KitKatCabaret sells many vintage costumes, as well as, vintage lingerie.  Check out her blog @ galleongalsblog.blogspot.com , "like" her Facebook page @ www.facebook.com/bunnie.hawkins.9 and visit her shop, KitKatCabaret on Etsy @ http://www.etsy.com/shop/KitKatCabaret .

Comments

  1. thankyou so much for all your help for this wonderful interview
    and also for all the encouragements through vintage lingerie sellers team on etsy
    kitkatcabaret

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts