Meet Sandy of MyVintageWonderland

First things first…you are….?
My name is Sandra Carter but my friends call me Sandy.

Hi Sandy. You own and operate a shop on Esty. What is it's name?
MyVintageWonderland.

You started out your Etsy life under another name.
My original shop name was GenerationsOfStyle. I opened my shop up in October 2010, but I had to shut it down for a while because I had surgery in Jan. 2011. 

Why the name change?
I was thinking of my mom and sisters, I had my mom's picture on the banner from her modeling days in the forties. When Etsy allowed name changes I changed the name to MyVintageWonderland for the reason that I felt the word vintage or lingerie should be in the name. 

Your mother was a model? How interesting…what kind of modeling did she do and how old was she when she was doing it?
My mom modeled clothes in the 1940's when she was in her twenties. When I was growing up she made sure I stood up straight, and when standing up, that I had one foot straight out and one foot at an angle (models stance). From early early teens I held in my stomach, until I was out on my own and found out how wonderful it was to let my stomach out!! I wish now that I am in my fifties I could hold in my stomach. HE HE.


Growing up my mom always had a sense of style, not just about clothes, but even in the home. She was also very crafty. She took classes in lots of how to do things. I think I always had an interest of vintage clothing, just never called it that until I was vintage.

Ha! Ha! I'm vintage, too! I like to ask shop owner's their age. Care to share? 
I am 56 and 1/2 years old.

How nice.  Where did you start out in life?
I was born in Oakland, CA. We moved to San Lorenzo, CA when I was 5 and this is where I was raised. 

It may seem like you never left, but you've taken a bit of a journey and ended up back where you started…
In high school I took a class to be a key punch operator. In my senior year I got a job working late shift as a key punch operator. Remember this was 1974, so my job was putting data on cards that where used to input data into computers that took up half a room. I went to work for Bechtel Corp. in San Francisco and worked there until I was 21.

How funny… There has to be a good story behind the journey that brought a key punch operator to open a shop that predominantly sells lingerie?
…I needed a change and decided that I was going to move to Reno, NV and be a blackjack dealer. 

Whatever made you think of that?
Just one of those, "I need a change" ideas. My boyfriend and I were done. My job was not going anywhere, and I thought, "Reno...here I come!"

And after that?
My plan was to stay in Reno for 1 year than go back to Bechtel and not lose any benefits. 

Kind of like a job sabbatical. What happened next?
Like all good plans, this one went astray when I met the men whom I married. 

How romantic!
We married in 1980, and are still married. 

There was a time when you weren't so sure you would be. What happened?
We moved from Reno to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to Wendover, NV (our son was born while living here), Wendover to Las Vegas (had my 3rd spinal surgery here) to Albuquerque, NV. 
I hated Albuquerque, I met and still have some good friends from there, but hated being there. My husband and I split up. I took our son and went back to Las Vegas. My husband stayed in Albuquerque for a year and than moved to So. California. 

But you are still married to this man? How did you reunite?
My husband brought new leather furniture for my son and I, (and) we started talking. Funny, we were separated for just over 2 years and never talked about divorce, and once we started talking, we figured out (that) most of what went wrong with us, is (that) we quit talking. We started seeing each other and we decided to give each other another try. I moved to So. Calif. and here we are today.

Love that... In our conversation, you've casually brought up spinal surgery, but I know that this is not such a casual thing. But then again, if you've had 3 spinal surgeries, maybe it feels a bit casual by then! Is it something you'd be willing to talk about?
When I was 13 my mom had taken me to her doctor because I was not standing up straight and did not seem able to. Her quack of a doctor said do not worry about it, it will be fine. Right after turning 16 my spine curved a lot, and my mom found the best scoliosis doctor in the SF bay area and we went to see him. He said my curve was in the mid 30's and as long as it did not change surgery was not an option, but if she noticed any change he could put me in a brace. One month later my curve was a 48 (surgery is done at 40). We were told I would have to have surgery ASAP because my spine was curving so rapidly he was afraid that I could smash a lung. 


Two weeks later, November of 1972, I had surgery to correct my spine. My spine was fused from T1 - T12 vertebrae and I had a Harrington rod screwed into my spine to hold the fusion. He did a wonderful job! But back in the 70's this meant staying in bed for 3 full months in a full body cast, then wearing a full walking body cast for 6 more months. Not a lot of fun. I was lucky I had 6 girlfriends that (are the kind that) are hard to find. We went to the beach, concerts and enjoyed ourselves and none of them would tolerate any remarks made about me. I have never been sorry for the surgery because without it, I would never (have) had a life.



In 1983, while working in Reno, I felt something pop and it turned out to be my Harrington rod. One of the screws came loose. It hurt like hell. I went to the same clinic to see the doctor who replaced my original doctor. He said I needed surgery to remove the rod. It was explained that I would not have to wear a cast. I was married and did not want to have it done. My husband said how long did I want to suffer? So… off to the bay area we went and I had the rod removed. When I woke up YIPPEE no pain. 


I never thought I could get pregnant, but I did, and my son was born in 1985. One of the happiest days of my life. Unfortunately, the weight and the pressure (of the pregnancy) put a hairline fracture in my spine.  As the years went on and my fusion disintegrated, I was told I needed to have another surgery and (that) my pain would get worse (without it), which it did. Finally, in 1999 I knew I could have it done. As a mom (I needed to feel secure and), I knew that if something bad happened on the table, my son and his dad would be OK. 


The only problem was that we were living in Las Vegas, NV and my doctor was in the (California) bay area. I did not want to burden my sisters (who were living in the bay area and would have taken care of me after the surgery) because they were taking care of my mom who now had Alzheimer's. So, I had my surgery in Las Vegas. My mistake. The doctor did not do a good job…fused my L1-L5 and never mentioned it to me. Only when I started having problems did I find out. Long story short this surgery is the main reason for my (current) pain. I try hard to keep up but sometimes just doing laundry and cleaning the house is all I can handle, so my Etsy shops does not get new items put up. I have a closet half full, not including shoes and purses, but am working on it.


And still in spite of this, you have a ton of listings! Sandy, something I admire greatly about you is your "attitude of gratitude". You've had your share of hard knocks and yet you have managed to stay essentially kind and positive. It would be very easy to become bitter, but you haven't. I'm not trying to paint you as a saint….I'm sure you have your bad times just like everyone else…one year in particular, was extremely difficult.  Right? 
2002 was one of the worst years of my life. My mother was sick and I went to the Bay Area to visit her and got a phone call my apartment had burned down. 10 days later my mom passed away, she was the first of six deaths of people dear to me.

I'm so sorry. That's a lot of sorrow packed into one year. I ask you about that year because many people feel these kinds of times are transformational. Did this happen for you? How do you think it changed you? If it can be said or understood, was there anything that came out of this that was for the better?
2002 taught or reminded me that stuff is just stuff and can be replaced. Family and  friends are what matter. Without them, I would have fallen apart, but instead, I found I had more friends then I knew. The one thing I try to do, is (to) do something to help, or just to be nice to someone, everyday. Let someone in front of me in a long line.   Drive my 82 year old neighbor to her doctor appointments....or to Walmart, which I did today. Every kindness is given back two fold.

It's true… So, how did you come to open an Etsy shop that sold lingerie?
In 2010 I had to admit I was disabled and could not work in a (traditional) job. My niece was selling on Etsy and told me about it. She had opened (a shop) and was doing well and (I) decided to give it a try. 

What do you like best about operating a vintage clothing shop?
I really like the searching for and finding really nice vintage items. 

How did you come to specialize in vintage lingerie?
I think I went towards the lingerie because of my mom. The best gift (that selling vintage lingerie has given me, that) I can name, is the memories (it brought back) of my early life with my mom and family in general. One of the first things I bought to resell was a Barsa robe, it was exactly like the one my mom wore. 

Tell me a little about that robe ?
…it was blue nylon with an overlay of ecru lace with a peter pan collar and satin ribbon trim. 

Sounds so pretty...
I do not know if  it 
(meaning vintage lingerie) is either a necessity or extravagance, (but) I know people of all ages can look at it and see history…kinda like watching a good black and white movie.

And often, in those movies, there is a lot of gorgeous lingerie to be seen! I really get a kick out of seeing it in use, in it's time period. Well, Sandy…thank you so very much for sharing your story. You are a delight. And your shop is, too. I'm so glad we got a chance to get to know each other better.


MyVintageWonderland  shop carries a variety of items, including vintage lingerie, clothing, accessories and jewelry.  You can find her vintage lingerie at MyVintageWonderland. Her Olga scalloped, chiffon black bra was featured in VintageLingerieLove's Year End Favorites, as well as, her satin 80's Victoria's Secret short pajamas set, in Hangover Helper's , and her Anne Stuart, sheer, embossed, blue-violet nightgown, in 2013 Resolution:  Out with the Old T-Shirts...In with the Vintage Lingerie. 

Hope you enjoyed our little interview.  Until next time...
XO
Kathy
You can find my shops Medicinew1 and Medicinew2 on Etsy.

Comments

Popular Posts